Jump On the Bandwagon


“The bandstand on the south-east corner of Main and Mill streets was erected on land that had been part of the HUNTER garden about 1902-03, after the Odd Fellow’s Band had been organized and playing a year or two. Once the weather warmed, which was usually late May, it gave the band an opportunity to get out of the stuffy hall (now seniors’ building) and practise and play while furnishing music for the villagers and people from the surrounding community. The music brought out the people who then traded in the local stores and visited, thus making Saturday evenings quite active and jolly.” “Music was furnished to the village, but our popularity spread so we received requests to play at picnics, fairs, socials and other events in the surrounding villages, so that on a few occasions we had to travel great distances in order to keep the engagement. Being active in the band gave the Morewood boys great satisfaction and pleasure, while the trips proved to be great outings and fun. Ike YORK was then operating a livery stable and had a ‘light express’ with two seats extended lengthwise and used two horses to haul us to our engagements. After Arthur SWERDFEGER purchased the YORK livery, he did the driving. On some occasions we would not arrive back home or get to bed until long after day light.”